According to Ayurveda, skin is formed in the same way as the cream is formed from the boiling milk. This example indicates that all the physiological functions of the body have a direct or indirect effect on the body. According to this sutra, you scars, wrinkles or pimples actually start forming in your stomach! Besides, Ayurveda stresses the role of the mind as the supreme controller of the body physiology. So actually, your stress or anxiety is the factor that might ruin the normal function of your stomach and cause you a face full of wrinkles! Like the way a healthy mind resides in a healthy body, a healthy skin also is a result and reflection of the overall health of the body and the mind.
Health is the real beauty! Now, as the results of dangerous chemical cosmetics are more visible now, this age-old concept of real beauty is being rediscovered. Most of the skin care products like moisturizers, lotions or cosmetic creams do not penetrate beyond the outermost layer of the skin. All they can do is to soften the outer dead layer of the skin. The real nutrition of skin, as stated earlier, has to come from the centre of the body.
According to Ayurveda, there are three pillars of perfect health. A perfect skin will inescapably boil down from a perfectly healthy physiology. These 3 pillars are Ahaar (food), Nindra(sleep) and Brahmacharya(balanced conduct).
We are what we eat. The factor “Ahaar” consists of 3 factors – the quality of food that we consume, the way in which we consume the food and the kind of digestion we have.
The central force in the body physiology is the process of digestion. Whether it is nutrients or toxins that are digested, formed or absorbed in the body, are the factor to the digestion. Important guidelines for healthy digestion can be found in the below link.
The next most important thing is “Nindra” or sleep. Sleep is the rejuvenating factor for the skin. Sleep provides the much required time for rest, repair and manufacturing of new body parts. Even proper digestion cannot happen without proper sleep. Most of the skin repair and rejuvenation happens when you are sleeping. Without proper sleep, the skin will be like a vehicle which has not had a proper servicing for years. Naturally, such skin will be full of distasteful marks, acne, wrinkles etc. Therefore, in order to have a gorgeous skin, it is important to make sure that you sleep is a perfect beauty sleep. Disturbed sleep or insomnia severely affects entire body physiology and thereby also the skin.
Here are some factors that pave the way towards deep, peaceful and relaxing sleep.
How to get the best sleep
Following points can help to have an excellent sleep and restore the skin health
Have an early dinner, preferably before sunset.
Stop working on the internet, mobile, TV or any other electronic device at least 2 hours before sleep
- If you are a music lover, listen to relaxing music before going to sleep
- Meditation before sleep helps to reduce stress and helps to bring a deep and peaceful sleep.
- Everything good follows gratefulness. Try praying just before going to sleep. You can have your personal unique prayer. This prayer will set a positive mode before your mind goes to process your deep thoughts and impressions during the sleep.
- Use eye caps to ensure proper darkness. Darkness helps to restore the natural balance of chemicals in the eyes.
- Do not read, listen to or talk about depressing or sad things before going to sleep. This means that you should not be reading a newspaper or a thrilling novel before going to sleep.
- If you are not the meditation or music type, try taking a small quiet walk outdoors before going to sleep.
A good sleep will definitely result in a fresh mind and a healthy body. Healthy skin is but an inevitable outcome of the same.
The last but not the least, stress is the most important factor in the skin health. Stress is one single factor that can derail all other factors. It damages digestion and wipes out sleep. It creates a hormonal imbalance and accelerates the overall ageing process. There is no way our skin can escape the effects of stress.
Brahmacharya is an ideal code of mental, verbal, physical and social conduct. According to brahmacharya, we should make ourselves in sync with nature and humanity. Brahmacharya is the way to perfect peace and balance in the mind. According to this code of conduct, one should refrain from any kind of violence (wilful damage to others), greed, anger, arrogance and obsession. These qualities naturally keep the mind undisturbed. A balanced mind can maintain a balanced body. Besides, once the mind is calm, this calmness reflects on your face and makes it really attractive beyond words.
Thus, by strengthening the 3 pillars of health- proper food, proper sleep and a peaceful mind, one can achieve a flawless skin! And, the best part is that for doing any of this, you do not need to spend any extra money or buy an expensive product or service, because real beauty is priceless!
How to have a great skin? – Basic Approach
Actually, the better approach is how to preserve the great skin that we are born with. As a child, normally all of us have had great skins, hence the term – baby soft. But over the years as we grow older, we lose that beautiful> And is it solely because of the way we treat it. So it is important today to know what not to do before we start on what to do in order to have a great skin.
Don’ts for a beautiful skin
Don’t use soap EVER on your skin. Soap is an acid and if you keep pouring acid on your skin every day, no one can save your skin from getting dry and look older. With dryness come the wrinkles, rashes, dullness and rapid ageing. Soap is for washing non-living things, use it for washing your clothes, but not your skin.
Please, please don’t use chemicals based cosmetics, sunscreen, skin serum, moisturizers, lotions, skin creams, toners, cleansers etc etc etc on your skin. These products contain a bulk load of chemicals that are not only harmful to skin but many of them, esp the fragrance producing agents like benzene compounds are carcinogenic.
Don’t use bleach, chemical-based hair removers, artificial deodorants or body sprays.
In short, don’t use anything artificial for your skin. It will be a blessing both for your skin and your pocket. And what’s more, you will have a naturally attractive skin.
Do’s for the skin
It is important to stay properly hydrated to maintain a good amount of moisture in the skin.
- Ushapaan is an excellent water detoxification methods, normally practiced early morning before sunrise. It is a must do not only for a healthy skin but for the health of the entire body.
- Again, good digestion is the basic factor for having a clear and radiant skin.
- Body Massage is the best way to immediately increase blood and nutrition supply to the skin. Ayurvedic massage helps to increase the rate of lymph and tissue fluid circulation, which helps to improve the quality of blood supply reaching the skin. Regular massage with Ayurvedic oils helps to enhance the rate of toxin removal, skin repair and rejuvenation. Massage activates the skin based glands and ensures a smooth, healthy and radiant skin.
Ayurvedic oils that can be used for body massage
General body pain
- Mahanarayan tailam
- Bala Tailam
Dry skin or medium skin
- Mustard Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Aloe vera gel
- Turmeric – gram flour – milk cream paste
- Multani clay face pack
- Neem leaves paste face pack
Scars and Face Marks
- Aloe vera gel
- Mashed raw potato face pack
- Kumkumadi Tailam
- Aloe vera
- Kumkumadi tailam
Hope this information helps you. Feel free to get in touch for a personalized Ayurvedic skincare consultation.
Wishing you a beautiful skin!